Monday, December 19, 2011

A Trip to the CITTI

In an earlier post, I described our first trip to the city center.  Today, we went to a different CITTI.  There is a shopping mall here called 'CITTI PARK', and at a superficial glance, it looks like an ordinary shopping mall, not very different from malls in the states (except that the food court is substantially smaller).  We walked around, looking for coat hangers and brooms and other boring stuff.  We ate pizza to keep the kids from turning into demonic beasts (they don't particularly care for broom shopping).

We decided to end our trip with a short grocery run at a grocery store called 'CITTI'.  We did not foresee quite how descriptive that name really is.  The place (http://www.cittimarkt.de/) is the size of a small city.  Ok, that is a slight exaggeration, but this place really has to be several times larger than the largest Walmart Super Store I have ever seen.  It is not just a grocery store.  It is a department store, grocery, wine warehouse (I am thinking I may just pitch a tent in there.  I am pretty sure no one would notice.), hardware store - you name it.  We found our hangers, our broom, some dog food... The dog food is from Sweden, and the label declares:

 Magnusson Meat
No Meat Meal
Only Fresh Swedish Meat, Carrots and Fresh Eggs

This is not a translation.  The label is in English.  I really don't think I want to know what kind of 'Fresh Swedish Meat' is in this product, but I think Chestnut will like it, whatever it is.

Oh, and the 'candy isle' is about 15 isles.  Germans, it seems, have quite the sweet tooth.  We bought 5 packs of Zimmtsterne  (Zach wants to send some to his classmates back home... any bets how many packs are left after Christmas?  Winner gets the empty boxes.)

I wish I had taken a camera, but who knew?

One more thing - if you want to find CITTI PARK, guess where it is.  Right across from IKEA, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment