Friday, December 23, 2011

A Few Random Photos

I took some pictures a while back, but it was too much for me to plug in that little wire to hook the camera to the computer.  I had to upload the Christmas tree pictures, though, so after going to all that trouble I thought I should share the other photos too:

A view from our backdoor:



Makes ya just want to rush right outside and go for a nice stroll, right?

Here's something much more interesting.  There is some sort of animal preserve just a 2 minute walk from our house.  They have some weird-looking creatures:



He looks a little sad, but you would be too, if you were standing barefoot in this all day:



Chestnut absolutely loves the way these things smell, btw.  She can stick her head right through the fence, and often there will be a cow close enough so she can rub her nose into its fur and get a real big whiff.  She also tries to invite them to play.  What is she thinking?  Wow, what a big hairy dog.  Maybe I can get it to chase me...

The day we toured the potteries, we also stopped by to see a real German U-boat:


We actually had the whole sub to ourselves, because apparently even Germans do not frequent beach towns in the middle of December.  It was pretty cool, long as you keep that whole 'death machine' bit locked away in the back of your mind.

4 comments:

  1. How cool to have a musk-ox and a U-boat in the same blog page. Don't see that everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a trained mathematician. When I say 'random', I MEAN random! Glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you actually measure random? Are the units something like "As likely as a falling piano"? "As likely as the Spanish Inquisition?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent questions! The examples you provide describe events of 'low probability'. That is different from 'random'. Random means that selections are made from a population (say a bunch of photographs) without any bias of selecting one item over another. To be technically correct, these photos are a 'random selection of pictures from Germany that I had on my computer hard drive'. But even that is not completely true, as I didn't really choose them without bias - they are representative of the things I saw during our first week or so here. Had I been blind folded and just clicked on the screen, the sample may have been a closer approximation to true randomness (which is indeed, a very difficult thing to measure, much less accomplish).

    ReplyDelete