Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve is Christmas

J and Z were completely thrilled to learn that Christmas comes early in Germany.  The way it works is this: you have to leave the house in the afternoon on Christmas Eve.  Many go to church (more on that later), but going out for a walk can work too.  While you are gone (if you are lucky - and if you have been good) the Christ Kind comes and leaves you presents!  In M's family, the adults have developed the tradition of  'checking', to be sure that the presents have arrived (in case you haven't stayed away long enough).

We went to church.  I should mention here that the owner of our house is pastor of a church in another part of the city.  The reason the family had to leave this house is that the church requires them to live in an apartment next to the church.  I must confess (pun soooo intended), I feel a bit guilty whenever I meet them, knowing that they would really rather have stayed in their house :(.  They are e really nice people too - which makes it even harder.

Anyway, about the church:  It was lovely with Roman arches and pretty stained glass.  We went for the 'Krippen Spiel' (literally, Crib Play) or the nativity play.  The kids were adorable, of course, but that really doesn't do much for a seven-year-old (especially one with spotty German), so J was quite bored.  Z had a better time, and he was also able to read the hymn lyrics and sing along.  One thing that is a bit unsettling to see is an eight-year old dressed as a very pregnant Mother Mary.   I have no idea if this is done stateside, but it definitely made an impression.

We had fondue for dinner (the meat kind).  Actually, I guess we are still having dinner.  M and parents are 'taking a break', but I think I might be finished.  We started at 6:30 and it is now 9:30, so I think it is time (the break has been going on for a while)... I find it very difficult not to clear the table, so I am looking at my computer screen.

I have discovered recently that I really hate typing, so that is enough for now... I wonder if M would type this for me, if I wrote long-hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment