Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Z is a Commuter!

In the cover of the night, M left long before any of us were up.  He is off to NYC.  Oh yes, that is ironic.

All the neighbors here are really great, and have offered all kinds of help with getting the kids to school, information about the area, cups of sugar, etc.  I was very thankful when one neighbor offered for her daughter to accompany Z on the bus (city bus - not school bus!) to school and meet him afterwards to help him get home.   They met at 7:25 am at the corner, and Z disappeared in the darkness.  I was very pleased to see that he was more excited than terrified (and I had found out that his absence the day before had caused huge disappointment by several girls in his class who were looking forward to meeting 'the American boy').  I had a feeling it would be a good day for him, and it was.  

At about 8:20 or so, Richard (I cannot pronounce his name properly, and it is a source of comedic entertainment for the entire family), a seven-year-old neighbor, rang our bell, to pick up J and me.  We then proceeded down the block, where we stopped at two more houses and acquired two little girls.  So, it was me and them...  Most adults here speak some English and will help you muddle through mixed GerEnglish 'sentences', but seven-year-old kids, not so much.  The kids were all silent on the way, and I asked Richard (auf Deutsch) if they are always so quiet, and he answered 'ja'...  I don't know if I believe him.  In any case, they seemed to keep looking over at me, to see if I, as the adult, would take over lead of the trip.  I told them I have no idea how to get to the school, so they are in charge.  It was a very funny dynamic.

We found the school, and then I realized there were a few details that I did not commit to long-term memory.  Such details as, the teacher's name, which classroom?  We entered from the rear of the building, whereas the day before, we entered from the front.  There are 5 second grade classes scattered along 3 hallways.  I thought we went to all of them, and J said 'not this one', but we were very confused.  We finally went into a classroom and found a teacher.  "Sprechen Sie Englisch?".  "A little," was the reply.  Thank god.  "We are lost," I explained. She started to ask the teacher's name, and I felt like even more of a complete flake than I usually do.... I said, "I don't remember her name".  The very, very kind young woman took us to the office and helped us find our way.  

I dropped him at the correct classroom, and headed home.  When I arrived, this time, I really did take a nap.

I found the classroom easily when picking J up at 12:30.   Z made it home by himself, and we had some mittagsessen,  As predicted, all went well for Z too.  Nice kids.  What more could you ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment