Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cabin Fever

In my joy over getting the wheel and workspace set up, I forgot one minor detail.  This is M's first week back to work, but the kids still have one week of winter vacation.  Guess who is in charge of entertainment?

There are a few kids around.  In fact, we may have accidentally acquired a couple of extras... two boys who come calling for Z.   I think their moms told them to go and play outside, and they found their way to the Americans, who offer hot cocoa and a warm indoors.  Only trouble is, they are 12 and 11 years hold.  J got left out of the loop :(.

Two days ago, I thought I could take the kids bowling.  Bowling is fun, right?  Apparently not.  At least not for Z, as he cannot see the point of playing a game he has no chance of winning.   I tried to explain. 'You are supposed to be bad at bowling.  That's what the game is about.  You roll the ball, it goes halfway down the lane, and then drops right into the gutter.  Then you laugh!'  He didn't buy it.  J was happy, as he had 2 spares in 10 frames, and scored more than 50 overall.  Not sure how he does it, because he just drops the ball and somehow, it finds the center all by itself.  Eerie, really.

Bowling didn't work, so yesterday, I thought I could take them to the Mediendom.  It's some kind of planetarium-type thing, but with 'multi-media' emphasis.  I had reservations and everything.  Then J broke down and said 'But I don't want to go anywhere.  I just want to stay here!'.  And do what, one would wonder... or perhaps all parents instinctively know the answer: 'I just want to stay here and torture you'.  The sun made a brief, unscheduled appearance, so in my eagerness to rush outside and collect photons, I canceled our reservation.  We'll go on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment