Thursday, May 17, 2012

Happy Himmelfahrt and Vaterstag

Ok.  The kids are with grandparents and I am tired of depressing myself by looking at weather forecasts and general climate info, so I figured I'd write a bit.

First, some weather-related notes:  Turns out, the summer I have been waiting for isn't actually coming.  The high temp here in June hovers around - get this - 68 degrees Fahrenheit.  While there are about 17 hours of daylight, only about 8 hours per day is actually sunny.  My dreams of hitting the outdoor swimming pool or the beach are looking a whole lot less attractive.  When I get back to NC, I will soak up the heat like a bone dry sponge taking in water.  If you are standing next to me, do not be surprised to feel a chill or even a slight breeze as a result of the sudden temperature gradient.

So, what's new?  Well, today is a holiday in Germany.  Ok.  That's not news.  There is a holiday here every other week.  But it was news to me today.  Not the holiday part, but I forgot that this means all the stores are closed again.  I have gotten used to the Sunday thing (sort of), but when there is a truly obscure holiday on a Thursday, it comes as a bit of a shock to see the whole place close down.

Now for the best part.  What holiday is today?  In English, it is the Ascension.  When the Holy Ghost appears to the apostles and then ascends into heaven.  Or something like that.  The Germans call it 'Himmelfahrt', which is now officially my favorite German word.  Translated literally, it means 'heaven drive'.  I imagine Jesus behind the wheel of a V.W. bus, driving himself up to heaven. Of course, my Jesus looks just like Ted Neely in Jesus Christ Superstar, so it needs to be a V.W. bus.  He is listening to a cassette tape recording of 'Magic Carpet Ride' and grooving to the beat.  Could it be a Volvo?  Or a Prius, perhaps.  Could he be listening to Springsteen or Telemann or earsplitting German techno-pop? Sure.  Pick your own Jesus image and the associated vehicle and song.

What do the Germans do on this Oh-So-Sacred holiday (so sacred that the kids get not one, but two days off from school!)?  Well, it is also Vaterstag (Father's day).  That's nice.  Dads and Moms and kids, all go to church and then spend the day together... No, actually, not at all.  First, the Germans only go to church for baptisms, confirmations, weddings and funerals.  Some go at Christmas and Easter too, but that's just to watch the little plays the kids put on.  Second, Father's day is for Fathers - not families.  The Dads leave the kids with Mom, and then go out drinking together.  It's a good thing Jesus was single.  He could end up with a DUI.

Most people know that I am (ahem) not a church-going person.  But really, if you are going to take the day off in the name of a holy day, shouldn't you go to church?  If not, either rename the day (ItIsMayAndIWantAnotherDayOff Day? HowCanAPersonSurviveOnOnlySixWeeksVacation Day?) or get your butt to work - so I can go to the stupid grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment