Thursday, June 7, 2012

You say 'tomato', I say 't---- pffft bleck... what is that thing?'

 am a food snob.  I cannot deny it.  If the produce is not organic, keep it.  If  the meat is not free-range, hemical free and happily smiling before slaughter, I do not want it.  Also, I like to cook.  "What's for dinner mom?"  "Pistachio-encrusted tilapia with sauteed chard and roasted root vegetables, honey."

I have really grown accustomed to the wide variety of beautiful (yes, truly, truly beautiful) vegetables and fruits that are available from local sources in my home in NC.  I miss them.

I have found some markets here in Kiel that have some lovely offerings.   But certain things simply do not grow anywhere nearby.  One of those: tomatoes.  I love tomatoes - but only when they are fresh, ripe and sweet.  The peel should be delicate, indeed, barely noticeable.

Tomatoes do not grow in Kiel.  I know this will be a shocker - but it rains too much.  Plus, it is too cold.  If I were a tomato plant, I would not grow fruit here.  Why bring offspring into such a hostile climate?  It would be irresponsible at best.  At worst, cruel.

The only tomatoes to be had are the grocery store variety - and those are even worse than grocery store tomatoes in the states!  I know, you are thinking, "How is that possible?".  I think that the reason is transport.  In order to travel to Germany, from say, Spain, it needs to be bruise-proof.  This results in a 'peel' that is very much like a melon rind.  When was the last time you bit into a melon with the rind on?  That is what it is like to eat  a grocery store tomato in Germany.  Also, I have kept tomatoes on the counter-top for several weeks without spoilage.  That simply should not happen.

I know I should just give up and stop buying tomatoes - but the available vegetable list is pretty short here, especially if you look for organic: We have peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, cucumber, eggplant, zucchini and (a German staple) asparagus.  Occasionally, I will find some lettuce or salad mix.  I found some fresh cilantro recently, and M remarked that I looked like someone just handed me a dozen roses...

Silly man.  You cannot eat roses!






No comments:

Post a Comment